Meeting Overview: See What's Flowing
Last update: September 20, 2019
(please check back regularly - subject to change)
Please scroll down the page to see the courses, events and highlights
Nov. 2 - Saturday afternoon Practice Management Clinic
Included in your registration fee!
Powered-UP! Urology Practice Success Clinic
Special pre-meeting clinic directed by Mark Painter, CEO PRSURO and John C. Lin, MD (Arizona)
For Urologists, Urology Practice Managers, PA/APP, Operations Staff
Saturday, Nov. 2 - 2pm to 6pm
Portola Hotel at Monterey Bay in Monterey, CA click for more info
State of the Art Talks, Panels & Guest Lecturers (as of Sept. 20)
Monday, Nov. 4
- Geriatric Considerations in Pelvic Medicine - Anne Suskind, MD, MS - Associate Professor of Urology, UCSF, Department of Urology (during the Pelvic Floor Medicine Session)
- Neoadjuvant and Adjuvant Therapy in RCC: Current Guidelines and Practical Approaches (Sadoughi Award Lectureship) - Robert G. Uzzo, MD - Chairman, G. Willing Pepper Chair in Cancer Research, Urologic Oncology, Department of Surgical Oncology, Professor of Surgery, Temple University Health System
- International Guest Lecturer from Scotland / EAU - James N'Dow, MD - General Urology/Chairman, Guidelines Office Board, EAU, UK, Chairman of the EAU Guidelines Office Board, Professor of Urological Surgery & Director of the Academic Urology Unit, in the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Treating Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer: Metastatic and Non-Metastatic PC - Robert Reiter, MD, Professor of Urologic Oncology and Director of UCLA's prostate cancer program (sponsored by Janssen)
Tuesday, Nov. 5
- Expert Panel: Challenging Reconstructive Cases (during the Pelvic Floor Session) - with Benjamin Breyer, MD, Associate Professor of Urology & Epidemiology & Biostatistics, Vice Chair of Urology, UCSF, Dept. of Urology and Jeremy B. Myers, MD, Division Chief, Division of Urology, University of Utah and Judith C. Hagedorn, MD, MHS, Assistant Professor of Urology, University of Washington and Catherine J. Harris, MD, Urologic Associates, PC, Colorado Springs, CO
- Five Most Common Considerations in the Care of the Adolescent/Adult Spina Bifida Patient - Lindsay A. Hampson, MD - Assistant Professor of Urology, UCSF, Department of Urology (during the Pediatrics Session)
- Debate: Optimal Treatment of Peyronies Disease with Medical and Surgical Disease (during the Sexual Medicine Session) - with Kevin A. Ostrowski, MD, Assistant Professor of Urology, Univ. of Washington Medicine and Alexander W. Pastuszak, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Utah
Opportunities to Improve the Quality of Prostate Cancer Management: Importance of Testosterone Monitoring and the Potential of Data Analytics - Evan R. Goldfischer, MD, Director, Research Department at Premier Medical Group (sponsored by Abbvie)
Wednesday, Nov. 6
- The Death of PCNL as Technology and Capabilities of Ureteroscopy Continue to Rise - Ralph V. Clayman, MD – WSAUA Distinguished Member, 2019 - Distinguished Professor / Endowed Chair in Endourology, Dean – Emeritus, University of California, Irvine, Department of Urology (during the Calculi Session)
- The Failed Sling - David Ginsberg, MD (Emil Tanagho Lectureship) - Professor of Clinical Urology, Director, Neurourology and Female Urology, USC Institute of Urology
- Expert Panel: Testicular Cancer: Case based approach and New Guidelines (during the Bladder, Testis, Urethra Session) with Siamak Daneshmand, MD, Associate Professor of Urology, Keck School of Medicine, USC and Sean P. Stroup, MD, Naval Medical Center San Diego, Director of Clinical Research
- Robotic vs. Open Urologic Oncologic Surgery: A Systematic Review & Meta-analysis Comprising 101,539 Patients (2000-2019) - Inderbir Gill, MD, Chairman & Professor of the Catherine and Joseph Aresty Department of Urology, Founding Executive Director of the USC Institute of Urology, Associate Dean for Clinical Innovation, USC Institute of Urology (during the Prostate 1 Session)
Thursday, Nov. 7
- Next Generation Imaging for Recurrent and Advanced Prostate Cancer - Daniel W. Lin, MD, Professor and Chief of Urologic Oncology, Pritt Family Endowed Chair in Prostate Cancer Research, Director, Institute for Prostate Cancer Research (IPCR), Department of Urology, University of Washington (during the Prostate 2 session)
Health Policy Luncheon & Forum
Sunday, Nov. 3
Luncheon Program: 12 noon - 2:30pm
Eugene Rhee, MD, MBA
Preliminary Program Agenda
- Welcome – Eugene Rhee, MD, MBA, Chair & AUA Public Policy Council Chair-elect
- Presidential Address - Jeffrey Frankel, MD, WsAUA President
- AUA Update – Scott Swanson, MD, AUA President-Elect
- Interactions on the Path to Reimbursement: AUA, CPT & RUC
Ronald P. Kaufman, Jr., MD, FACS - Prof. of Surgery, Associate Urology Residency Program Director - Albany Medical College, Albany, New York
- SPECIAL PRESENTATION: Is Big Data & Precision Healthcare coming to the Rescue?
Shez Partovi, MD – Amazon Web Services, Worldwide Lead for Healthcare, Life Sciences, Genomics
- KEYNOTE: The Practice Predicament: What’s on the Menu - M&A, Employed or Private?
Street Smart Wisdom from Industry Experts: Irv Barnett and Debra Phairas
Sunday Morning Practice Management Courses
Sunday, Nov. 3 - 7:30am to 11:30am
- 7:30am - Health Policy Essay Winner Presentations & Health Data-Quality Improvement (HDQI) Poster Session Moderated by Drs. Eugene Rhee and Jeffrey Frankel
Nicholas Chakiryan, MD
Health Policy Essay- First Place: Relative Value Units Do Not Adequately Account for Operative Time in Urologic Surgery.
Michael Zaliznyak, MD
Health Policy Essay- Second Place: Which U.S. states’ Medicaid programs provide coverage for genital gender affirming surgery for transgender patients?: A state-by-state review, and a study detailing the patient experience to confirm coverage of services.
David Friedlander, MD, MPH
Health Policy Essay- Third Place: Driving high-value American healthcare via the (policy) road less traveled.
- 8:30am - Top 10 Actions for Urology Practices in 2020
Mark N. Painter, Physician Reimbursement Systems
- 10:00am - Managing Medicare in 2020 and Beyond
Arthur Lurvey, MD, FACP, FACE, Medicare Contractor Medical Director, Noridian Jurisdiction E
- 11:00am - California Urological Association Annual Meeting
With special presentation by CMA President, Dr. Peter Bretan
Sunday, Nov. 3
Resident's Luncheon Program
Surviving After Residency –
Learning the Business Side of Practice
Course Director: Jonathan Perley, MD, Clinical Instructor, Harbor UCLA & Private Practice, Long Beach, CA
How to select the right job, gain a better understanding into today's medical / financial landscape, how to maximize your training into a successful practice by incorporating minimally invasive therapies, and understand the basics of insurance and coding.
- How to decide on the right job
- Academic vs. private vs. HMO
- Groups large and small
- Understanding insurance, reimbursement and coding
- How to get started in a practice and what is expected of me
- Understanding the economic landscape and how it relates to medicine today
- Panel discussion with academic and Kaiser faculty
- Update on ancillary care services (surgery centers, pathology labs, & lithotripsy, radiation centers)
RESIDENTS PLEASE RSVP TO: email@example.com
Monday, Nov. 4
Post-graduate Review and Exam Preparation Courses (PREP-C)
Overall Director: Joseph Sterbis, MD, Tripler
A Western Section AUA Program Especially for Physicians and Residents wanting:
- Preparation for the In-Service Exam
- Maintenance of Certification
- An Overall Didactic Urology Review
All Courses are included in your registration fee.
Each course offers about 2 hours of intense didactic material and take place Monday morning and end around 12:30pm.
- PREPC-1: Transgenital Surgery for Surgeons & Nurses - - Maurice Garcia, MD
- PREPC-2: Female Pelvic Medicine - - Chris Twiss, MD
- PREPC-3: Management of Non-Invasive Bladder Cancer - - Kamal Pohar, MD
- PREPC-4: Male Infertility - - Amanda Reed Maldonado, MD
- New! PREPC-5: Simulation - Teach the Teachers - - Tim Brand, MD
Monday, Nov. 4, 3:45pm
Resident’s (Rock 'n Roll) Bowl Competition
Moderated by rock'n Joe Presti, Jr., MD
Do NOT miss this event! Three teams will compete together in one jeopardy style game show. You can guess the theme (fun!) as we unwind from the day and enjoy happy hour action with our great rock star resident teams. The winning team will represent the Western Section at the AUA’s Annual Meeting Resident Bowl next year. Plan to attend this slightly "unconventional" event!
Advanced Practice Provider (APP) / Allied Health Program
Louis Koncz, PA, Spokane, WA
November 5 & 6 - Tuesday and Wednesday
We are pleased to continue a special CME segment on Tuesday and Wednesday that is directed toward our Advanced Practice Provider attendees, nurse practitioners and other allied professional colleagues in Urology. We encourage you to register the non-MD professionals in your practice and have them attend.
This program is included in the Health Professional’s registration package, is also open to all physicians and will include CME which is pending review.
Bring your Urologic Health Care Team to Monterey!